We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Here is some fun DIY Gingerbread and Peppermint Play Dough you can make with your kids or to even put in their Christmas stockings. You should be able to find all of the necessary supplies at Target or any other store. To give them as gifts it you can put them in the small round Glad disposable container and attach a plastic cookie cutter to the outside.
Here are the ingredients you need for the DIY Play Dough:
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 cup Salt
- 1 cup Water
- 1 1/2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Food Coloring (optional)
Directions to make Play Dough (to make the Gingerbread or Peppermint scented Play Dough make sure you check the instructions below to see when you need to add the flavoring to this mixture):
- In a medium sized pan whisk together the flour, salt and cream of tartar
- Add water and oil.
- If desired, add the food coloring
- Wisk together until you have a smooth consistency with no lumps.
- Place the pan over low heat and stir constantly until your mixture thickens. This step will take 3-5 minutes and you will need a strong arm. When you have a big ball/lump, your dough is finished.
- Knead your dough for a minute or two.
- Store in a sealed container
Gingerbread Scented Play Dough
Add these ingredients into the above mentioned dry ingredients
- 1 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- Add 1/2 tsp Vanilla and blue, yellow and red food coloring into the wet ingredients until you have a brown color before placing on heat.
Peppermint Scented Play Dough
Just Add 1/2 tsp peppermint extract and red food coloring into the above wet ingredients before placing on heat.
I even have some FREE printable labels for your homemade Play Dough, just click the image above your follow this link to print the Peppermint and Gingerbread labels.